Monday, July 18, 2011

On becoming a yoga student

I resonate strongly with what Jessie wrote about being a student. I love being a student, and this is one of the main reasons why I love being back home in London or New York (apart from my family!).

The first thing I did was I headed straight for the Bikram studio in Fulham and signed up for the 30-day challenge. It's a good excuse - Fulham is so close to my home in South Kensington.

However, I decided to do something new too this time. I signed up for 10 consecutive days of yoga in a strange part of town, that required me to take two underground trains and a bus to. I gave myself an hour to get there, and was early for once in my life. As I lay in savasana in the studio, it gave me time to reflect on my journey. I never had this luxury as a teacher!

And despite the carbon miles I burned up to get here, it was worth it. When I got out of the studio, invigorated, I was hit by the sights and sounds of a new place. Kensal Rise is so different from South Kensington! There were Middle Eastern and Asian supermarkets selling exotic fruits and vegetables that I take for granted in Asia but cost a bomb in England. So I bought lots and did an italian antipasto for dinner, as well as luxurious mango lassi.

A yoga student's life is glorious!

I hope my new recruits are looking forward to the August training as much as I am.

Love from London
jk

No comments: